Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Poor Baby Bryson

2 weeks ago, Bryson was very sick; probably the sickest he's ever been. It all started with a sneeze that Saturday, then he woke up Sunday with a snotty nose. We had a birthday party that day so we stopped at CVS and got some Benedryl on the way. The Benedryl didn't seem to work and on Monday I could tell that he wasn't feeling all that great. By the time we got home from school Monday night, he was running a fever; not too high, but still high enough for some Tylenol. I called into work on Tuesday since his fever was high enough to miss school and since the Benedryl wasn't working, I went to Walgreens and bought him some cough and cold medicine. Walgreens had a lot more to chose from for Bryson since most cold medicines are for ages 4 and up. This medicine had a fever reducer in it so I quit giving him the Tylenol. At about 330, his fever went up to 103.3 which meant the fever reducer wasn't working but I was scared to mix another medicine with it so I called the doctor. The nurse that answered chewed me out for giving him that medicine, and told us it was too late in the day to come in and that we would have to go to after hours. She didn't tell me if I could give him Tylenol or Motrin with the medicine I had already given him. Of course it was raining, and we need new tires on the car bad. So bad that it really shouldn't be driven in the rain. Thankfully we were able to make it to Lisa's and she took us to the after hours clinic.
When we got there, he still wasn't acting like he felt bad, and he didn't even feel that warm. He was running around and playing in the waiting room. I just knew that we would get back there and they would tell us his fever was gone and that nothing was wrong with him. Bryson hates doctors and nurses so of course he lost it when they called us back. They weighed him and took him temperature. He weighed right under 30 pounds, but his fever was up to 104.6! The nurse had never heard of the medicine I was giving him before so she took it to the doctor to see if we could mix Tylenol with it. We could, so when she got back she made us strip Bryson down to just a diaper, give him Tylenol, and make him drink a ton of apple juice. I was freaking out, but tried to hide it so I didn't scare Lisa or Bryson. The first thing they did was a flu and strep test. Both came back negative. Then they checked his ears. Of course they were clogged with wax so she couldn't see which meant they had to clean them out. It was not fun! Then of course after all of that, he didn't even have an ear infection. The only explanation was a virus and that we had to give it 3-5 days to run its course and that if he still had a fever by Friday, to take him back to the doctor. By the time we left, his fever had come down to 102 and the doctor said to keep alternating Tylenol and Motrin and that we could keep taking that cold medicine. We got Chick Fil A on the way home, and Bryson was acting like he felt fine.

 The only thing that kept him happy was playing with a straw.

This is when he had a 104.6 fever.

The next day, we stayed home from school. He seemed fine all day. He had only ran a low grade fever, so I really thought we would have made it back to school the next day. During his nap, I heard him moaning and tossing and turning. I went in his room and he was shaking so I woke him up, checked his temperature and it was only at 100. He kept shaking and crying, so I sat him on the couch and got his Tylenol and some apple juice. When I went back in the living room, his lips were turning a bluish color and he wouldn't stop shaking. I checked him temperature again and it had went up to 102.6 in just a few short minutes. I called the doctor and they made me do a skin test, which didn't work because his hands were blue. We headed straight to the doctor. By the time we got there, the Tylenol had kicked in so he wasn't blue or shaking anymore. Our doctor was out so we had to see one of the other doctors. His temperature by the time we got there had already dropped to 100.4. The doctor did a blood test and everything came back fine so he checked Bryson's ears. They still had a lot of wax in them but he was able to see in them after he had a nurse help Robert hold him down. The night before his ears were clear, but by then, he had an ear infection in his right ear. It just shows how fast an ear infection can start. He gave us a prescription for an antibiotic and we headed home. All Bryson wanted to do that night was wear his Buzz pajamas and cuddle up with his Toy Story blanket and Woody and watch The Fresh Beat Band on my Kindle Fire. It ended up being a very relaxing night. 

No comments: